Skip to main content

Almond Milk: Healthy, Vegan, AND Tasty?



I've been wanting to try almond milk for a while because I've heard it was good and super healthy. I finally found a good coupon in the paper and decided to buy some to try. I've had soy milk before and that was pretty good, but sort of gritty as you drink it. I bought the original and dark chocolate flavors of almond milk.

My Silk Pure Almond Milk! Original and Dark Chocolate Flavors.

When I took the first sip of the original almond milk, I couldn't believe how good it was! It's very smooth and tastes exactly like drinking liquid almonds! If you don't like almonds, the flavor is definitely overwhelming and you probably would not like almond milk. The dark chocolate flavor was my favorite and I could definitely see replacing regular dairy chocolate milk in my diet with the dark chocolate almond milk.

Close-up of the almond milk cartons.

I began researching into the health benefits of almond milk and found some interesting and promising information. Almond milk has more nutrients than dairy milk and even other alternatives like rice milk and it can easily be substituted for dairy milk in your diet. Whenever I eat chocolate, I prefer dark chocolate, so it makes sense that I loved the dark chocolate flavor so much. However, there are extra antioxidants in this flavor, too, because of the dark chocolate cocoa - an added bonus! Almond milk can even replace dairy milk in most recipes. I can't wait to try baking sweets and cooking with almond milk!

Nutritional Information on the carton.

There's a lot less fat in almond milk than in cow's milk. Here is a scary fact that I found on one site - "Cow’s milk becomes allergic and toxic because cows are injected with growth hormones and antibiotics which can also cause certain types of cancer." (http://www.helium.com/items/1963030-health-benefits-of-almond-milk). Cows are pretty much born today and injected with antibiotics and hormones immediately. I even read somewhere that there is a connection between breast cancer and dairy products - one professor claims Chinese women do not use dairy products and, as a result, are rarely diagnosed with breast cancer. I found one website that actually shows you, with pictures, how to make your own almond milk at home from scratch: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html. The process looks pretty easy, so I guess I will have to try it sometime and let you know how it goes. Almond milk is packed with nutrients including fiber, protein, and iron, just to name a few. The antioxidants in the almond milk are definitely a plus, too! Since there is no saturated fat, there's pretty much a consensus out there that drinking almond milk will help you lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle.

My research shows that almond milk is a very healthy alternative to regular cow's milk. There were really no negative reviews that I came across. I strongly feel that it has to be better for you than regular cow's milk. Well, I better finish up my glass of Original Almond Milk that I'm enjoying over here, so I'll leave you with that thought.

- Ashley

Comments

  1. Lauren BrzuszkiewiczOctober 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM

    Okay so after I read this I googled Almond Milk versus Soy Milk. I drink soy milk almost everyday because cow's milk makes me sick. I guess I was not well informed because a lot of websites say excessive soy can cause breast cancer in some women. I know there is a slim chance of that since I don't drink in excessively, but still. I am liking the idea of switching to Almond milk. You're right, found nothing negative about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I read that about soy milk and breast cancer, too! I honestly think you might like the almond milk better than the soy milk. It's very smooth and really good! I definitely want to know if you try it. The dark chocolate is FABULOUS! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Lemon & Sugar Hand Scrub

I actually saw this on the Dr. Oz show from "Beauty Secrets from around the World". I guess women in Italy use this to keep their hands soft and looking young. I know exfoliating your skin is important, but how often do we really exfoliate our hands? I've tried the Mary Kay Satin Hands and it does feel good and makes your hands soft to exfoliate them. I decided to give this Dr. Oz recipe a try. Lemon & Sugar Hand Scrub. I didn't have any all-natural lemon juice or lemons, so I just used the lemon juice I had in the house. I just added regular sugar to a small bowl and added a little lemon juice to make a paste. You just take a little bit of the mixture and scrub into your hands and in between your fingers. You can even use this on your elbows and heels or any dry areas that need to be exfoliated. When you have scrubbed enough and feel exfoliated, you just rinse your hands well in warm water! My hands felt so soft I couldn't believe it! Then just apply som

Detox Tea: Cleansing and Revitalizing?

For my first post, I want to write about my experience with detox tea. I have to start off by saying that I hate hot tea, mostly because my Mom would always make me drink hot black tea as a kid when I was sick. I like some cold teas, but usually only if they are loaded with sugar (I know, I know - not so healthy!). I found a Chinese herbal detox tea made by Triple Leaf Tea. Here is the description off their website:  http://www.tripleleaf-tea.com/chinese.htm#detox . "Our Detox Tea contains more than 20 potent Chinese purification herbs.* Traditionally, these herbs were used to support the healthy function of the liver, kidneys, lungs and blood, to cleanse the body of toxins and to promote clear, healthy skin and healthy natural energy.* This tea has a delicious taste with a hint of natural lemon flavor." I have read a lot about foot detox where it supposedly pulls all the toxins out of your body and turns the water black. I figured this detox tea couldn't hurt! I a