Skip to main content

Is Your Laundry Detergent Exposing You To Chemicals and Toxins?

When we think of laundry, most of us think of that "fresh laundry scent" or the smell of Bounce Sheets and we associate those smells with clean clothes fresh out of the dryer. When you are at the store and you walk down that detergent aisle and take a whiff, the smell of "laundry" is overwhelming. No one really questions whether these "smells" are natural because we are so used to them being a part of our everyday lives. When I started looking into some of the ingredients in laundry detergents, I was amazed to find that they are loaded with chemicals and artificial fragrances. You would never think that a detergent that is supposed to clean your clothes would be so bad for you.

I have a friend whose Mom is really into natural cleaning products so I asked what she uses for her laundry. She told me about Ecos Laundry Detergent which is sold at Sam's Club. I had seen it before and I decided that next time I was there, I would give it a try. I used to use Purex laundry detergent because I loved how it smelled, but once I realized that pleasant scent is actually harmful and synthetic, it changed the way I felt about it. Also, the fake blue color of detergents is derived from harmful chemicals as well.

The Ecos Laundry Detergent was not very expensive, which was great! Being safe and natural doesn't always have to be more expensive. The first time I used Ecos, I really liked that it was clear and scented with organic lavender essential oil. It seemed safer and more natural.

My Ecos Laundry Detergent

I already love the scent of lavender, so the smell was great for me. I have been using Ecos for more than a month now, and have yet to have a complaint. It even got red wine out of a white polo shirt, so it cleans very well! Another thing that had really freaked me out when I was researching into the chemicals in laundry detergents was that there are separate detergents for baby clothes than adult clothes. I don't know why people think this is normal, but I believe one detergent should wash the whole family's clothes and be safe at the same time.

No testing on animals : )

The fact that this product is not only safe for me, but also for the environment, is also a great plus! I love that there's no testing on animals, especially being such an animal lover myself. I never condone animal testing and I think it's wonderful that companies are beginning to recognize that it's unethical.

Earth-friendly!

I searched on YouTube for videos relating to Ecos Laundry Detergent and found this interesting clip that someone uploaded showing their washer out-putting water from the washer to their hydroponic system to water their lemon tree. They use the same Ecos lavender-scented detergent that I am using and the outgoing water with the Ecos actually helped their lemon tree thrive!


Isn't that pretty interesting?

I searched online for reviews of Ecos Laundry Detergent online and did not find any negative feedback. Most users agreed with me that it cleans well and smells nice. It was unanimous that everyone felt better about using Ecos since it was safer for their families and the environment. As I mentioned before about the separate detergents for adults and babies, a few reviews even talked about how families were using Ecos on laundry for the entire family including babies and infants! If these people are really using it for their baby's laundry and not seeing any ill-effects, then it must be safe! Also, it is supposed to be better for your plumbing pipes, leaving less residue. A number of reviews mentioned that the inside smell of their washer actually improved!

Here is the link to the Ecos website with the product specs: http://www.ecos.com/ecosliquid.html#spec. Some of my favorite things about this detergent are:

- "Non-polluting/100% biodegradable/non-toxic/natural."

- "Made of replenishable/sustainable ingredients."

- "Plant-based surfactants we use do not harm the item being cleaned, your body or the environment."

Finally, I have an HE washer, so I am only required to use 1 ounce of detergent for each load! That's 210 loads with the 210-oz. size of detergent that they sell at Sam's Club. This is definitely a detergent that I am going to continue using! It makes me feel healthier and happier using this Ecos Laundry Detergent on my family's clothes!

- Ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Lemon & Sugar Hand Scrub

I actually saw this on the Dr. Oz show from "Beauty Secrets from around the World". I guess women in Italy use this to keep their hands soft and looking young. I know exfoliating your skin is important, but how often do we really exfoliate our hands? I've tried the Mary Kay Satin Hands and it does feel good and makes your hands soft to exfoliate them. I decided to give this Dr. Oz recipe a try. Lemon & Sugar Hand Scrub. I didn't have any all-natural lemon juice or lemons, so I just used the lemon juice I had in the house. I just added regular sugar to a small bowl and added a little lemon juice to make a paste. You just take a little bit of the mixture and scrub into your hands and in between your fingers. You can even use this on your elbows and heels or any dry areas that need to be exfoliated. When you have scrubbed enough and feel exfoliated, you just rinse your hands well in warm water! My hands felt so soft I couldn't believe it! Then just apply som

Almond Milk: Healthy, Vegan, AND Tasty?

I've been wanting to try almond milk for a while because I've heard it was good and super healthy. I finally found a good coupon in the paper and decided to buy some to try. I've had soy milk before and that was pretty good, but sort of gritty as you drink it. I bought the original and dark chocolate flavors of almond milk. My Silk Pure Almond Milk! Original and Dark Chocolate Flavors. When I took the first sip of the original almond milk, I couldn't believe how good it was! It's very smooth and tastes exactly like drinking liquid almonds! If you don't like almonds, the flavor is definitely overwhelming and you probably would not like almond milk. The dark chocolate flavor was my favorite and I could definitely see replacing regular dairy chocolate milk in my diet with the dark chocolate almond milk. Close-up of the almond milk cartons. I began researching into the health benefits of almond milk and found some interesting and promising information.

Detox Tea: Cleansing and Revitalizing?

For my first post, I want to write about my experience with detox tea. I have to start off by saying that I hate hot tea, mostly because my Mom would always make me drink hot black tea as a kid when I was sick. I like some cold teas, but usually only if they are loaded with sugar (I know, I know - not so healthy!). I found a Chinese herbal detox tea made by Triple Leaf Tea. Here is the description off their website:  http://www.tripleleaf-tea.com/chinese.htm#detox . "Our Detox Tea contains more than 20 potent Chinese purification herbs.* Traditionally, these herbs were used to support the healthy function of the liver, kidneys, lungs and blood, to cleanse the body of toxins and to promote clear, healthy skin and healthy natural energy.* This tea has a delicious taste with a hint of natural lemon flavor." I have read a lot about foot detox where it supposedly pulls all the toxins out of your body and turns the water black. I figured this detox tea couldn't hurt! I a